Friday, January 23, 2009

Chess Armed Forces


Today I ran across a chess site called 'Game Knot'. Now I always thought my chess skills were somewhat satisfactory but after playing against people from Japan...Switzerland..and this one place I've never even heard of..I have to say..I'm not feeling so good.

I play chess from a military prospective. Meaning even if I win, the victory is meaningless if I lose a lot of pawns (I see them as the grunts). I make the Knights and Bishops officers (cause their only useful when their not being useless).

When the game starts the first thing you do is set your assets in formation. Whether the infamous 'V formation', an Echelon detail...it really doesn't matter so long as each piece is protect by one or more 'Friendlies'. The next step would be to simultaneously control the center board (or kill zone) while providing cover for the King (....yea). The important thing is to align your formations so that your officers can be mobile on quick notice. I haven't really found a strategy to involve the rooks (I see them as artillery, idky) but I mainly just use one to cover the king and another to keep an enemy rook in check.

Like I said earlier, I feel bad if a lot of my guys go down but I know that they were fighting for a cause. I would have to say my favorite piece would be the Queen (what can I say, I'm a ladies man!) Not only is she the strongest piece on the board but shes also very valuable. Don't you find it hard to continue once you've lost her, all the morale is just..gone.

But what I really like most about chess is that each pawn has the opportunity to 'rise through the ranks' and that's something I can relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment