Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Libby Riddles


Today's society fails to recognize the mental and physical strength that girls posses. Libby Riddles was the first women to win the Iditarod Trail led Dog Race in 1985. The race takes place over 1,150 miles of isolated Alaskan wilderness, spanning over a period of eleven days with weathers below zero, frostbites, harsh winds, wild animals,dangerous terrain and an eerie sense of loneliness.
Yet despite the obstacles, Libby out rode her male competitors and went on to achieve victory. After the race one of her competitors had this to say about her...
'She didn't baby her dogs, or herself. Once I stopped with several other drivers to rest and warm up in a lodge alongside the trail. Libby drove up and her dogs wanted to stop, she told then in a language they could understand. Real colorful language. And off they went. I had to admire her for that. We were all relaxing and getting warm, but she never came in. She just told those dogs to keep moving down the trail...'
I have to say, that's one tough gal!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEnoEmx7GdI